Fast, efficient and very easy.
Much safer than old fashioned plate x-rays.
The benefits of x-rays are well known. They help us diagnose common problems such as cavities, gum disease and some types of infections. X-rays allow the clinicians to see inside a tooth and beneath the gums. Without them, more disease would go unnoticed and treatment would begin later. As a result, people would have more pain and lose more teeth.
At First Choice Dental Clinic we high tech digital x-rays which use less radiation meaning safer x-rays. The X-ray units used in our dental clinic emit extremely small doses of radiation. However, cells can be damaged by many small doses that add up over time. That's why we recommend that x-rays should be used with caution and only when necessary.
The picture shows an actual x-ray image taken in the clinic of one of our patients.
Several changes have reduced radiation exposure in dental x-rays through the years:
• Lower x-ray dose - The single most important way we keep our patients safe from radiation is by limiting the dose. An x-ray machine is quite large, but the x-rays come out of a small cone. This limits the rays to an area less than three inches in diameter. x-ray machines also are well shielded. Very little radiation exposure occurs beyond the diameter of the beam. This is an Acutal Patient x-ray taken at FCDC
• Digital radiography - The use of digital x-rays reduces radiation by as much as 80%.
• Film holders - Dental patients used to hold X-ray film in their mouths with their fingers. Those days are long gone. Now, holders keep the film perfectly positioned.
• Regular inspections and licensing - Health departments regularly check x-ray machines to make sure they are accurate and safe.
• Limited use of x-rays - We take x-rays only when we believe they are necessary for an accurate dental assessment or diagnosis.